Because beard hair is typically quite coarse, men often experience itchiness, dandruff or “beardruff,” and even in-grown hairs on the delicate facial skin underneath. A full beard also makes it difficult to access the skin so common skin problems like dryness, acne, or inflammation can be compounded.
Longer beards can also become quite tangled and unruly. Daily application of beard oil, followed by combing with a beard comb, will smooth the hair and encourage it to grow and lay in one direction.
How do you begin? Start with the below...
The carrier oil you choose will depend on what specific qualities you are looking for. We are primarily focused on the beard itself but it is important not to forget the skin underneath. There are several excellent oils that help nourish both skin and hair. You can choose one or a mix of several.
Argan oil is a non-greasy oil from the fruit of the argan tree which is native to Morocco. Because it doesn’t leave a greasy residue it makes it an excellent choice for hair and skin care. It is high in fatty acids which help restore the balance of natural oils in the skin. It is also rich in Vitamin E which stimulates hair growth and helps to repair and prevent split ends.
Jojoba oil is actually a plant wax which is closest to our body’s natural sebum. This makes it an excellent skin care product and it is tolerated very well by most skin types. This oil helps to balance oil production in the skin keeping acne at bay. Jojoba oil also does an excellent job of coating new growth, thus strengthening the hair and helping to prevent breakage.
Castor oil is also an excellent oil for hair growth. It is high in vitamin E and fatty acids which support hair growth and strength and is also naturally antibacterial and anti-fungal which helps prevent “beardruff.”
Essential oils add many beneficial qualities to your beard oil and also allow you to customize your oil with a scent your man is sure to love.
- Lavender- has antimicrobial properties which help relieve dry scalp and prevent dandruff.
- Cedarwood- increases circulation in the scalp which helps stimulate new growth. It’s anti-fungal properties help relieve itching and prevent dandruff.
- Rosemary- also increases circulation to the scalp aiding in new growth and promotes healing which eases puffiness, itching, and swelling.
- Lemongrass- strengthens the hair follicles helping prevent breakage and hair loss.
- Ylang Ylang- stimulates the scalp for increased hair growth and does an excellent job balancing oils in skin.